The Koran, Commonly Called The Alcoran of Mohammed, Translated into English immediately from the Original Arabic; with Explanatory Notes, Taken from the Most Approved Commentators. To which is Prefixed A Preliminary Discourse. By George Sale, Gent.
Translated by George Sale (1697?-1736). Includes dedication, note to the reader, table of the sections of preliminary discourse, table of the chapters of the Koran, folded map, folded plan, two folded genealogical tables, preface, and notes. Title page in black and red ink. First edition of Sale’s translation of the Koran (Qur’an), consisting of revelations orally transmitted from the time of Muhammad. This edition is widely considered to be “the best in any language.” Highly praised by Voltaire in the “Dictionnarie Philosophique,” it remained the standard English version for nearly two centuries. Prior to the publication of Sale’s translation, the only text available in English, it appears, was a translation by Alexander Ross of Andrew du Ryer’s translation into French, neither of which was without basic faults. Printed by C. Ackers, for J. Wilcox, 1734.
* * *
A New Voyage Round the World. Describing particularly, The Isthmus of America, several Coasts and Islands in the West Indies, the Isles of Cape Verd, the Passage by Terra del Fuego, the South Sea Coasts of Chili, Peru, and Mexico; the Isle of Guam on to the Ladrones, Mindanao, and other Philippine and East-India Islands near Cambodia, China, Formosa, Luconia, Celebes, &c. New Holland, Sumatra, Nicobar Isles; the Cape of Good Hope, and Santa Hellena. Their Soil, Rivers, Harbours, Plants, Fruits, Animals, and Inhabitants. Their Customs, Religion, Government, Trade, &c. By William Dampier. Illustrated with Particular Maps and Draughts. The Second Edition Corrected.
Written by William Dampier (1652-1715). Includes dedicatory epistle, preface, contents, introduction, and a list of books sold by James Knapton. Fully illustrated, with five maps (four folding). Second edition, corrected. Printed for James Knapton, at the Crown in St Paul’s Church-yard, 1697.